The objective of ELF is the preservation of natural diversity in Estonia and in the world in cooperation with individuals, companies, organizations and state institutions through the following activities:
1. Protecting the endangered species and their habitat
2. Preservation of natural landscapes and associations typical of Estonia
3. Promoting sustainable use of natural resources
4. Raising environmental awareness in society
5. Seeking solutions how to keep living environment unpolluted for future generations
In order to achieve the objective, in April 2001, ELF’s Council approved the action programmes in following directions: 1) environmental education, 2) nature conservation, 3) sustainable development. Each year ELF actively participates in 50-60 projects.
In December 2005, ELF’s Council decided to place emphasis of actions on activities related to nature conservation – namely to forest, sea, wetlands and species conservation.